Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Group Planning

I thought it would be really difficult to plan a 2 hour lesson with 6 people. Turns out, it wasn't that bad. I think it would have been a lot better with only 3 people or so because then everyone would have been able to participate. We had 2 people who kind of took the lead and pretty much ran with it. I tried to bring in the other 3 but they didn't say much. I think they didn't want to compete with what was going on already. I'm pretty sure 2 of the 3 only got in a few words, if that.
I think when I am a teacher and my students are working on group projects, I will sit and listen for a while before I jump into the conversation. It is difficult to stick with a plan or continue a train of thought when the teacher comes and starts leading the discussion. It messes with the flow of the group, although that may have been a good thing in this case. I just wish that we could have had all the group members give some input instead of just a few.
If I ever have to teach with 6 people again, I hope it goes a little differently. I'm not saying it was bad, just different. I think it could be better but I'm not sure how. Oh, to be a good teacher...

1 comment:

RC said...

yeah, that was me. I was one of those doing most of the talking. I was actually thinking about it during and after. about how I should have probably shut up. next time someone should assign me to taking down the minutes and as such, I'm not allowed to speak.