Monday, October 13, 2008

How is that possible?!?

I went to observe a class on Thursday. The teacher was eager to teach us the lessons he has learned over the past 18 years since he has been teaching. Most of it was very helpful. But one thing really bugged me for the rest of the week. There was a kid who just sat there with his hands folded in his lap and his feet on a chair for the entire 85 minute class period. I asked him why he wasn't working on a project and he said that he didn't have one. After talked to him for a while, it became apparent that he didn't have any ambition in life besides skateboarding. I was so confused! I love school and love learning, but he would rather be out on the street by himself than in school. He would rather be doing anything besides sitting in school.

I came to the conclusion that I, as a teacher, need to decide how to handle those students before I get into the classroom. I would like to think that love, concern, and involvement would cure that kind of attitude, but my friends tell me otherwise.

We'll see.

No comments: